Thursday, July 9, 2009

Context

Part of my journey of late is getting into the Word more and more, learning and understanding the meanings and nuances of the text.  I have two study Bible's that I am using.


They not only provide me with two different translations, but also commentary and articles on various points of the text itself. 



I am also working through the above study currently.   This is the first in a four part study.  This weeks portion centers on Leadership, particularly Joshua.  Today's reading was the beginning of the book - Joshua 1-3

I have heard and read the story many times.  I have taught the story for the last two years in my second grade class.  However, today I read the commentary behind the story.  Archeological evidence today and from ancient times point out that some distance from the ancient site of Jericho there is a spot where earthquakes in the region will dam up the Jordan river for hours at a time.  This is a natural occurance It has been recorded several times in the last 1000 years.  These earthquakes can even be strong enough to crumble huge defensive walls as were surrounding the city of Jericho.  "Wow," I thought "how cool is that?"  Then I got to thinking, "wait a minute, there will be people who, using that information will state that they have just explained away a miracle. The Israelite army used natural phenomena to cross the river and ultimately defeat the inhabitants of Jericho."

However, after continued thought and prayer, I realized something I should have realized very quickly.  When was the last time that anyone, anywhere correctly predicted an earthquake?  Living on and close to the New Madrid fault all my life, I have heard many stories of earthquakes and even had a few predictions of them.  (I even got out of school for three days in the 10th grade because some nutjob predicted a quake on that fault early in December that year).

So I have come to the conclusion that yes, God may have used natural phenomena to obtain His super-natural results, if so the real miracle lies in the fact that Joshua and the Isrealites were posed to take advantage of such unpredictable events.  Just as, but not until, the priests stepped into the water, the river was dammed and dried up ready to be crossed.  This was necessary because it ws spring time,  when the river is swollen by spring rains and melting snow from high in the  mountains at its source. 

Seeing coverage of recent earthquakes also leads me to believe that another miracle also took place, keeping the thousands, probably over 2 million, Israelites safe while awaiting passage.  There had to be terror striking through their hearts already and then the ground shaking.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment